Thursday, January 28, 2010

Week One

So it has officially been a week here in Cape Town. My first full week, and I got to explore more of this on paper registration that we have to do. This is probably the number one culture shock I've experienced so far.

So we have to "pre-register" for classes, and we had to be pre-approved for classes. First things first, USF signed up all of us up in this program as individuals, so we're not associated with a university...at all. This became a problem because as individuals we had to provide proof of payment, and we had all payed our university. Problem. So today we went and apparently it had been resolved, so all we had left to do was pre register. Which we waited an hour and forty five minutes to do. On paper. It was quite the experience.

Then for registration (which is tomorrow) classes that we didnt already have approved, we had to get the head of the department sign it to approve the class. And people leave for lunch for an hour, and then leave for the day at about 4pm, so it was almost impossible to get things signed.

I feel as if I would be way more stressed out about classes and such if I were at home, but we're in Africa, on Africa time and nothing is really bothering me. The good thing about today is that I spent so much time walking around campus that I feel as if I know it a bit better now.

All of the freshman have moved into their housing now and so our campus is looking not so deserted and more like an actual campus.

The other thing we did today which was very South African was go to our first braai. A braai is like a giant barbeque and UCT hosted one for us, which was awesome. The only thing was that it was SO windy that it was impossible to hold our paper plates with food on them. And they had veggie sausages!! They are so accommodating to veggies here, which is so nice. Because we were basically being blown away by the wind, we went home, and are now getting ready to go out. Last night we stayed in, so were back out on our grind.

I also signed up for some awesome adventures on our free week next week, before classes start. I signed up for sea kayaking with penguins, a wine and bike tour, and a homestay in a township, and hopefully a rugby game. Exciteddddddd

No comments:

Post a Comment