Sunday, January 24, 2010

Cape of Good Hope

Ok last post of the day. So today was an orientation day, and we met all of the international students at school and took giant tourist buses down to the beach of which I forget its name, to see the penguins!! It was nice to see a lot of the kids we hadnt seen and find out where we they were living and what their living situation was.

Then we took a driving tour around Cape Town and of course I fell asleep, but when I was conscious I saw beautiful things, haha. After that we headed to a Township called Ocean View, which was the biggest surprise. None of us knew what to expect, but all of the people who were walking down the streets smiled and waved at us and we ended at this community center where the people of Ocean View had made this HUGE spread for all of us international students, including a separate vegetarian room with desert and fruit and it was wonderful. Then they put on a show for all of us. They had singers, and modern dance performances and then the highlight was a group of young kids who hip hop danced. It was incredible, they were so lively and happy and true performers. They had everyone standing to get a better look.

After we did that, we went to the Cape of Good Hope, the southern most tip of Africa, and it was absolutely breathtaking. There really are no words or pictures to even do the place justice, but hopefully some of mine will. It is where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet, and it protrudes so far out in the water that you are surrounded by the big blue sea. We first hiked up to the lighthouse and took pictures there, and then did the real hike up to some other peak...I really dont know how to explain it, here's the pics and hopefully they do a better job.

The funny part was that as I was walking up I realized something. As a sophomore when I was just dreaming about coming to Cape Town, I had googled Cape Town and found a picture and made it my profile picture on facebook and the caption said "this time next year, a beautiful place to get lost" and as I was walking up to the lighthouse, I looked down, and there was that exact picture just in front of me with my own eyes. That was really awesome, seeing it with my own two eyes, something that was just a dream about a year ago. Pretty cool.






No comments:

Post a Comment