Monday, April 19, 2010

Stellenbosch

We tasted at Spier (the site of Jess's accident) and then two more before we made it to the backpackers. We had to split up four and four which kind of sucked, but not bad. We met up for dinner and then hit the town of Stellenbosch! Its interesting because its like a college town which I am not used to at UCT or USF...but cool. I was a little concerned about all the Afrikaners there, and any race issues...and regarding that there are lots of white kids, lots of Afrikaans being spoken, and my friends got a few racist comments and I didn't hear any...which was a good thing I think. Stellenbosch is an Afrikaans university where most of the people speak Afrikaans, classes are taught in Afrikaans and racism is part of their history, so its always kind of at the back of my mind when I head to that part of the world.



So this weekend in Stellenbosch was a lot of fun!! We rented two cars and Dan, Stephen, Callie, Taryn, Amanda, Nicole and Jess and I headed up to wine country to do some tasting.

I almost went to Stellenbosch instead of UCT...and I'm so glad I ended up where I ended up. But a weekend there was lovely, its a beautiful place.

About two months until we leave our large 17 person house and go back to our respective homes. For some reason it is on people's minds and has started to come up in conversation a lot. Thinking about not being in CT is weird...thinking of leaving all of the wonderful people I have met is weird...but I am starting to miss the creature comforts of home:

-mac and cheese (though wendy did bring me some)
-a coffee maker with large quantities of coffee in it
-TRADER JOES
-my spot on the couch at home
-a bed that is a little softer than a rock
-my entire extensive wardrobe
-internet that you dont pay for by megabite (and that doesn't go down every other day)
-a laundry machine that you dont share with 16 others
-farmer's markets on sundays on Grove street in SF
-walking 2 minutes to class
and this:

1 comment:

  1. I CRY!!! I love that picture of all of us... next year is going to be epic once you and Charlie are back...

    ReplyDelete