Monday, February 1, 2010

Running? No way

So I am not a runner. Anyone who knows this knows how much i HATE running. But here in South Africa, I'm being very very open minded and doing all sorts of new things. Two of my roommates and I went for a run around Obs yesterday, and it was actually nice. There's not like a gym here, so we gotta do what we gotta do.

The funny thing about it is that people stare at us like we have 3 heads, like we are the craziest people around. Everyone we run by has comments like "get fit get fit!!" or today I got "Chop Chop!" haha, and "we support runners." I'm sure South African's work out...I'm just not sure they run, maybe they work out in gyms? It has yet to be determined, haha, but running definitely gets us some looks, some claps, some honks, and lots of stares.

The other portion of today was filled with getting our ID cards...which...well TIA. My roommates and I had the bright idea to run to school, and then get our stuff and run back, but Africa time thwarted us yet again, haha. We actually started at the medical school, because someone told us we could get our ID cards there, but we went to place to place to place and people told us that we needed to go to campus to get them, so we headed there. It was also plaza week, where all the clubs have tables out in the quad area and are promoting their clubs, but this is not like at any other school. The kids here pay for their club experiences, so they are WAY more legit than ours. There was a hiking club, surfing, capoeira, jiu jitsu, rowing, basketball, soccer, rugby, charity organizations, yoga clubs, hip hop club, the radio station on campus, intellectual clubs, religious clubs, atheist clubs, film club, they have everything really. And because you pay you get so much more for your club experience.

My roommates and I joined the SHAWCO, which is a charity organization and will be joining the hiking club, and I might be joining the wine and culture club ( you guys know how I enjoy my wine). The other cool thing was that as an international student I get 3 free clubs, that the international department pays for, so thats really cool.

So back to ID cards...we waited 1.5 hours, which is less than some other people we talked to, and we met a cool South African boy who really helped us figure out what we were supposed to do after that, and some Zimbabweans who were enrolling in UCT for opera, who just loved my California drivers license, haha, they thought it was so cool, and asked us to take them to the states when we left. After that we had to go to a computer lab to see our schedule online (online?!?! this was big). But all my friends are humanities faculty (which means department here) and I am commerce faculty (which means business). So I had to go to the commerce computer lab to see my schedule. Where I figured out I am only enrolled in two classes....and told that I need to come back friday to see about my others, but school starts on friday. So Friday should be an interesting day. And this was probably the first real frustration I have had about the education here, so I guess thats saying something. Anyways, tomorrow we go sea kayaking with penguins! Early, so that will be fun, and hopefully I can bring my camera to this event, cuz I would hate to miss the kodak moments that are sure to present themselves. Until then!

1 comment:

  1. you're running in Africa? you never ran with me in SF... I got your tax return but I'm holding it hostage until you run with me...

    ReplyDelete