Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Randoms

In Cape Town...I do not feel like doing work...ever. I feel like school is getting in the way of me living life, which is annoying, and I just cant seem to get anything done in our party house. At school I am very studious, even though I am a huge procrastinator, but it all seems to work out ok. Here, I am concerned for my GPA, but hey, I'm having a great time!

So Stephen's birthday was a lot of fun, we decided to go out in Camps Bay a more ritzy area of Cape Town (my mom is staying here when she comes in a month!!!) and went to a bar/club called Cafe Caprice. We took cabs there, and just had a great time celebrating the day of Stephen's birth with him, and as per usual on a 21st birthday he got wasted out of his mind, and his roommates had to take care of him a bit afterwards, but it was one for the books I'm sure. A few pictures survive and are attached.

I also did SHAWCO this week, its an organization through UCT that tutors and teaches young kids, and high school kids in 5 of the townships surrounding Cape Town. What I do is called KenStep, and it is a program where I teach English, like reading comprehension and punctuation to 5th graders in the neighborhood called Kensington. I actually started last week and had a really really tough time actually. I had every bad kid in the 5th grade, it was SO unorganized, I had about 14 kids to myself who were all hitting each other with notebooks, stabbing each other with pencils, and like a picture in my mind I just see my frantic self sweating, having no semblance of control over any of them looking around at the other tables of well behaved children who are paying rapt attention to their volunteers, and thinking "I never want to come back to this place." So today I was dreading it, but my roommate Taryn switched into KenStep because the program she was doing had too many volunteers and we needed some, and we still had a lot of kids, but they were much better. They even remembered me, and were so excited to see me and it was still chaotic but so much more fun today. Because we still had a lot of kids, we did not really get to teach too much, but hopefully that will calm down even more as the weeks go on.

Another observation about South Africa:
people are so freaking stylish!! People get dressed to the nines to go to class, and are just so effortlessly chic all the time. And, South Africans are a BEAUTIFUL people. Like they are all ridiculously good looking as Derek Zoolander would say. I mean I am just blown away by the fashion here, it is so on all the time and people just look great. I've found a few stores that are exciting here, though 100 times a day I want to ask someone where she got her shoes...its wonderful. I also feel like I want to be like t. He is a blogger who has a fashion blog that is dedicated to going around the world, and photographing people on the streets who are stylish, and I want to do that here...though I think people might think me a creep, haha. So I take imaginary pictures of all the people with incredible style on my campus and around town and file it away for a rainy day. Oh South Africa...how I do love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment