Thursday, February 4, 2010

Kayaking

So unfortunately, no pictures exist from our kayaking adventure, but it was so much fun!! Me and four of my lovely roommates got up early, we had to meet at 730am which was very new for us. We met on campus, then took a train to Fish Hoek (where the shark ate someone two weeks ago) and then a bus to Simon's Town, which seemed very British. It kind of reminded me of Gibraltar, that rock in Spain that is a British territory, kinda different.

From there, we met a guide who was giving us instructions on how to kayak, but my roommate Taryn and I had to use the restroom, so we didnt hear them...and we paid the consequences. So we set out, and Taryn was the "captain" and I was the "navigator" so she was in back and I was in the front, and we struggled so hard, hahah. We were so far behind everyone else and our guide was yelling at us that we were paddling wrong, and that Taryn needed to steer better, haha, and we were just cracking up and we were going straight into the wind, it was kind of difficult. FINALLY we got the hang of it, and were able to kayak with the others who were kayaking and it was so much fun.

We got all wet, the kayaks were open, so we were completely drenched, and we got to see the penguins! They were the same penguins we saw the first time, but from a very different angle. Then we stopped at a beautiful little cove and layed out a bit, some people went into the water, but it was really really cold, so I just enjoyed the sun. On the way back it was much easier, and Taryn and I did much better, haha.

After that we had lunch on the waterfront, delicious calamari, and headed back to Obz, we were so beat from the day that we all took naps when we got home and made dinner and then decided to hit up Long street again. It was a Tuesday so it wasnt the biggest night to go out, but our roommates broke it down on the dance floor in a bar called Jo Berg, again...so much fun. And yesterday we went to school to finish signing up for clubs, and we met up with our new South African friend Jethro and went back to that ridiculous mall for a bit. Had another interesting mini bus ride (something funny always happens on those) and my roommate Jess and I went on a run, and then we went out in our own little neighb Obz last night.

We have become locals in this little tiny dive bar called the corner bar that is literally a block away from our house. Everyone in there is a local, they are open til 4 am and then sell samoosas...needless to say someone from our house is always there. So last night I got to talking with two South African guys about everything in Cape Town at the Corner Bar, and they wanted to know about Obama, and healthcare, and what its like to go to school in the states, and they told me I have to go to Stellenbosch, and do the Garden Route and all sorts of cool stuff. Oh South Africans...they are wonderful. So since no pics exist from kayaking, heres a pic of my excellent partner Taryn and I, and some mini bus pics...they arent the best, but I'll get a good one soon enough. School starts tomorrow!!


No comments:

Post a Comment