Sunday, March 7, 2010

This Week












Sorry with the delinquency again on the blog…but now I’m writing when I should be doing homework, haha. This week was pretty fun, our roommate and good friend Callie turned 21!!! So of course we had to party hard. Tuesday night we went out to Zula on Long street, which is an awesome bar. They had live music and later on a DJ, the only part that was unfortunate was that there were not that many people there on a Tuesday, but we roll pretty deep so its always a party where we go. Of course, Wednesday I was completely useless, so I didn’t go to my third class and opted to go home and take a nap. This week has also been record HOT, and its impossible to sleep during the day time unless you have a fan. I really wanted to take a nap on the couch, but my roommate Ari had the same idea I did about napping that afternoon and when I got home was sprawled across it, so I stole the fan out of his room and had myself a lovely, cool nap. Then Wednesday night Callie wanted to go out to dinner with all of us, so we went to a restaurant called Café Ganesh, which was delicious!! Why am I surprised, I haven’t had one bad meal in Cape Town. It was kind of Indian food, kind of mediterranean, and awesome. My roommate Taryn and I split a falafel, and a vegetable roti, which was out of this world, I wish I had a pic to show you! Then we decided to do Obs night. So we went to Stones and had two for one beers, and hung out there all night. I don’t know why Wed is Obs night because we discovered this week that they have specials all week, and on Wed ALL of the study abroad kids go there, so its nice to go on another night, and meet new people. We went home and just hung out with roomies, which is always awesome. I think Callie had an excellent birthday J
I’m not sure if I have mentioned this before, but our house had a separate component to it that is a room with a couch, a bar, and an outside courtyard area but we didn’t have keys to it until a couple of weeks ago, so now we can use it which is wonderful! The outside area is also on the street and was just wrought iron bars, so it wasn’t ideal to hang out there, but our landlord just added wood siding all around it, so now we have a private courtyard and its so much fun! So Thursday night, no one really went out, but we all hung out in our courtyard. Our roommate Katie had some friends over, and they were kind of partying, but the rest of us just sat chillin outside. Our roommate Will, (I feel like I’ve said “our roommate” 500 times, but I hate when people talk about their friends like you know who they are when you don’t…so I’m gonna continue, haha) went to a progressive high school in LA, and they used to do this thing called ahomataquiase, where they sit together and there is a talking piece, in our case we used a candle, and the person with the candle gets to speak, and we all went around and just basically loved on each other. We all mentioned how much fun we are having in the house, and how much we appreciate each other, and it was so funny because just inside the courtyard Katie and her friends were partying and we were being all spiritual outside, but it was a nice chill night, and it was fun.
Friday night we went out to dinner with Taryn’s parents because they are visiting at Café Royale on Long Street. I’ve mentioned this place before but their veggie burgers are the best I’ve ever had. No questions asked, and we had a couple bottles of wine, and it was just lovely. Then we ended up going to Stones again, and met these three guys who were from Cape Town, Kenya and Spain and were doing a sailing course here and they were so cool and we just chilled with them all night. Saturday, Jess and I had a little date day! We wanted to try something new, so we went to this place called Cape Quarter, which is a really ritzy shopping area. It actually reminded me a lot of LA, it had really cool home stores, and restaurants, and in a really nice outdoor/indoor flow of space (that one was for you Alvin!). Oh, and we also ran into the pride parade when we were walking…amazing. We also went to the Bo Kaap neighborhood, which is a Cape Malay neighborhood, it is still kind of sketchy and there’s not much to see besides the wonderfully colored houses! See pics, but Jess and I walked there and found some cool shops and galleries, and then headed back to Cape Quarter for lunch. We got a recommendation from a shop owner about a restaurant called Voila, so we decided to try it out. Best decision ever. Jess and I decided to do it real big, so we got mojitos, and then split two sandwiches. She got a goat cheese, roasted veggie, and rocket sammy on ciabata bread, and I had egg salad with watercress on ciabata, along with some zucchini fries and it was DELECTABLE. So so good, and then we decided to get dessert as well, haha. Bread and butter pudding, incredible. Then we headed home, and I did homework until about 8, and then out to a house party with the roomies. Pretty successful weekend. And Wendy is coming in 12 days!! Well she is leaving in 10, but you lose 2 days traveling here, so I’ll see her in 12, and I already got the countdown and am so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment